Looking for parts?
Enter model number, part number, part type, brand, or part description and press Enter:
Instructions for replacing the tub counterbalance spring on top loading direct drive washing machines made by Whirlpool, Kenmore, Sears, Roper, KitchenAid, Estate, Maytag, and Inglis.
Washer Repair Video: Washing Machine Tub Counterbalance Spring Replacement
Washer Part: Tub Counterbalance or Suspension Spring
Tools needed: flat head screwdriver, Phillips head screwdriver, pliers, putty knife, 7/16th socket.
As with any repair, be sure you’ve unplugged the appliance before beginning.
- Your first step is to move the control panel out of the way. To do this, remove the screws found at either end. On some models, these screws may be located in the rear panel, or they may be covered by plastic end-caps. Pull the end-cap off from the top to access the screw. Remove both screws and rotate the panel up. Some models use clips instead of screws to secure the control panel. Insert a putty knife between the control panel and the cabinet to release the clips.
- Unplug the wire connector and snap out the spring clips using a flat head screwdriver.
- Tilt the cabinet towards you, slide forward, and remove.
- You’re now ready to replace the tub counterbalance spring. If it’s still intact, remove the old spring by detaching the hook from the slot in the base, then sliding the spring off of the mounting bracket.
- Install the new counterbalance spring by first attaching it to the mounting bracket, then inserting the long hook into the slot in the base.
- Now reinstall the cabinet. The front edge of the cabinet slides underneath the base frame. Use your foot to push it into position. Align the two notches on each side of the cabinet with the tabs on each side of the base frame. Now ease the cabinet to match up with the rear panel.
- Reinstall the spring clips.
- Reattach the wire connector.
- Rotate the control panel down and lock the clips into place, or reinstall the two screws.
- If applicable to your model, replace the end-caps by aligning the tab with the slot at the bottom and snapping the cap into position.
- You’re now ready to plug the appliance back in to make sure it’s functioning properly.